Here it is – a simple and unvarnished CV that includes all my publishing credits.
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario (Canada) 1985
B.A. in French, summa cum laude
- Freelance publishing credits listed separately below.
Editorial – print & internet
- Ludwig-Van, Toronto, ON – 2019-present, Digital Content Editor; copy editing text and image manipulation, publishing pieces to the Toronto-based website & social media.
- Freelance editing & communications consulting – various clients, 2004 to present (ongoing), including full length fiction and non-fiction manuscripts, reports, letters and other documents for individuals, businesses, book publishers (Burman Books) and non-profit organizations.
- Main Street, Hamilton, ON – 2004, 2005 on the editorial committee to select works of fiction and poetry to be published in an anthology featuring students and faculty from the McMaster Creative Writing Certificate Program.
- broken pencil magazine, Toronto, ON – from October 2000 to April 2001, Visual Arts Editor/Columnist; responsible for coverage of independent arts scene, column, profile/interview and short reviews each issue, also recruiting new writers.
- hamilton.701.com – June 1999 to August 2000, Topic Manager, Sports; recruiting and editing sports content, links to other sites, image manipulation, some articles including all Tiger-Cat coverage.
- id Magazine, Guelph, ON – May 1998 to January 1999, Hamilton City Editor; on a weekly basis, coverage of local issues, profiles of Hamilton ‘personalities’, updating music listings, arts & entertainment and non-profit events column, PR function.
- Hamilton Spectator, Hamilton, ON – January to December 1997, part of editorial committee selecting poetry and short fiction to be published in paper.
- Durham College, Continuing/Distance Education, Oshawa, ON – since 2011, designed & teaching an online course called Writing for the Web (offered on line to college students throughout Ontario through OntarioLearn).
- Niagara College, Continuing Education, Welland, ON – since 2001, teaching an online course called Writing for Publication I and since 2004, Writing for Publication II (offered on line to college students throughout Ontario through OntarioLearn).
- Mohawk College, Distance Education, Hamilton, ON – since 2007, designed & teaching an online course in Romance Writing, and beginning 2008, Travel Writing (offered on line to college students throughout Ontario through OntarioLearn).
- McMaster University, Centre for Continuing Education, Hamilton, ON – 1997 to 2007, p/t Instructor; designed and teach Newspaper/Magazine Writing and Publishing*/** and Style, Syntax & Self-Editing**, and three workshops, Online Writing Workshop, Promotions Basics for Writers,and Research Techniques. (*wrote accompanying text/booklet, ** also designed on line version – the programme ran from 1997 to early 2008)
(Non Credit Courses)
- Brock University, Continuing Education, St. Catharines, ON – occasional 2006-2009, teaching a general interest course in freelancing called Writing for Magazines & Newspapers (occasional – designed this offering).
Corporate/Commercial Writing – print & internet
- Freelance copy writing & corporate communications – various clients, 2007 to present (ongoing), including artist and musician bios, media releases for musicians and other artists, business reports and documents, webpages, company blogs and other social media and entire website contents. See samples at the link.
- A major specialty in retail website copy – major national client along with various small businesses, regularly from June 2006 to February 2009 & occasionally from 2010 to the present, including product descriptions, supplementary and explanatory materials, and marketing materials for a very wide range of consumer products.
- SEO – various projects from webpages to blog posts, trending news items and more. See samples at the link.
- Ghost writing non-fiction book titles (under a pseudonym) in the self-help field for Burman Books – 2012 to 2013 (10+ titles)
Social Media/Non-Commercial Online Content, Marketing & Outreach
- Freelance social media & outreach, including blogging, Twitter, adding non-commercial (informational, theme-related) web content and other online activities to support website traffic and promote individual organizations and events; individual projects by contract- since 2009 (ongoing)
- Samples & selected clients at the link.
Freelance Publishing Credits – Non Fiction
- The Best New Crime Stories: Crimes of Famous & Infamous Criminals (Editor: Mitzi Szereto – MangoPress/February 2023 – upcoming) – contributing writer to anthology
- The Best New True Crime Stories: Unsolved Crimes & Mysteries (Editor: Mitzi Szereto – Mango Press/September 2022 – upcoming) – contributing writer to anthology
- Mammoth Book of the Kama Sutra (Constable & Robinson/London, UK/Aug 28 2008; Running Press/Philadelphia, PA/Sept 2000) – contributing writer
- Mammoth Book of Women’s Sexual Fantasies (Constable & Robinson/London, UK/Nov 2004) – contributing writer
- Sex, Celestial Bodies & the Single Woman (CreateSpace/July 2011) – a tongue in cheek astrological guide to men – Kindle Version
- Toronto Day + Night (ASDMedia/San Francicso,CA/March 2008) – contributing writer in updated version of Fun Seeker’s Toronto
- Fun Seeker’s Toronto (Greenline Publishing/San Francisco,CA/ June 2005)
Periodicals (Print or Online)
- Ludwig Van (Toronto, ON – digital editor & senior writer, 2017-present)
- World Atlas (Toronto, ON – contributor, 2022)
- Culture Days Blog (A national initiative of the federal government – Ottawa, ON, 2021)
- AllAboutJazz (Philadelphia, PA – regular contributor, 2018-present)
- Okayafrica.com (New York, 2012-present, occasional contributor)
- TheThings (Valnet/Montreal Qc – regular contributor, 2020-2021)
- CBR (Valnet/Montreal Qc, regular contributor, 2020-2022)
- Huffington Post (from 2011-2019, occasional blog posts on arts and culture topics; fr 2019, occasional freelance op/ed pieces)
- Omni/Futurism Media (occasional contributor, 2017-present)
- Travel-Wise (Waterloo, ON – 2019)
- TheTalko (Valnet/Montreal Qc – regular contributor, 2018-2019)
- Nuvo Magazine (Vancouver, BC 2000, 2019)
- Myentertainmentworld.ca (Toronto, occasional contributor 2014 – 2019)
- TheRichest (Valnet/Montreal, Qc – regular contributor, 2016-2018) **>20 million views
- The Blasting News (Basel, Switzerland – regular contributor, 2016-2017) Sample #1, Sample #2, Sample #3
- The Culture Trip (London, UK – occasional contributor, 2016)
- The Inquisitr News (Tel Aviv, Israel – contributor, Jan-July 2016) Sample #1, Sample #2, Sample #3
- Locke-Taylor Magazine (Hamilton, ON – occasional pieces, 2015)
- Twirlit.com (Toronto, 2013, 15 pieces summer 2013) Sample #1, Sample #2
- Odeum Magazine (Brampton, ON 2012)
- Connect – the solo travel network (Gibsons, BC, 2012)
- Sway Magazine (Toronto, ON – regular contributor 2011 & 2012 – ceased publication) Sample #1, Sample #2
- Samaritan Mag (Toronto, ON – 2012)
- Lucid Media Magazine (Toronto, ON, occasional contributor to print version 2010)
- African World Newspaper (Toronto, ON, 2010)
- THIS Magazine (Toronto, ON, Autumn 2005 & May/June 2010)
- The Driver Magazine (Toronto, ON, 2009, regular contributor web & print)
- broken pencil magazine (Toronto, ON, 2007)
- Prelude Magazine (Toronto, ON, 2007)
- FilmPrint Magazine (Toronto, ON, 2006)
- Cahoots Magazine (Saskatoon, SK, 2006)
- H Magazine (Hamilton, ON, 2005)
- Construction News (Hamilton edition, regular contr. 2004/5)
- Hamilton this Month (1994, 2002 x3, 2003/4)
- the Hamilton Spectator (occasional, 1995-1998, 2003)
- Biz Magazine (Hamilton, ON, 2002 x2)
- Interiors (Hamilton, ON 1996, 2002)
- The Tallahassee Democrat (Tallahassee, FLA 2001)
- ARTSbeat Magazine (Hamilton, ON 1998, regular contributor 1999-2001)
- Burlington Life Downtown (Burlington, ON 2000)
- National Post (Toronto, ON 2000)
- Cdn Journal of Emergency Mgmt (Calgary, AB 2000)
- Lola No. 5 & 6 (Toronto, ON 1999 & 2000)
- Alternatives Journal (Waterloo, ON 1999)
- On The Scaffold (Toronto, ON 1998)
- Troika Magazine (Westport, CT 1998)
- the Rural Voice (Blyth, ON 1998)
- Outreach Connection (Toronto, ON 1998)
- Night Life Magazine (Hamilton, ON 1998)
- Performing Arts & Entertainment (Toronto, ON 1998)
- id Magazine (Guelph, ON regular freelance contributor, 1997 & 1998)
- View Magazine (Hamilton, ON 1996 & 1997)
- Modern Woman Magazine (Toronto, ON 1996)
E-Zines & Websites (to 2010 -after that point included with periodicals)
- Technorati.com (2009-2010, occasional arts & entertainment contributor)
- SceneandHeard.ca (2008 & 2009, occasional contributor)
- CahootsMagazine.com (Fall 2007/Winter 2008 – includes link to previous print article)
- OhMagazine.ca (2007 & 2008 – memoirs)
- Ukula.com (Toronto, ON May to December 2007)
- IfilmAlliance.com – (Vancouver, BC 2006)
- thegate.ca (2005 to 2007) Sample
- Capital Magazine (2007)
- Hotel Hotline (2004 x 2)
- AllSports.com (regular contributor 1999-2004)
- cfl.ca (2001)
- football.com (2000, 2004 profiles & articles)
- CCEP e-zine (Hamilton, ON 1999, nine articles)
- 701.com (Hamilton, ON 1999, frequent contr.)
- Painted Journals/Unsettled (Burlington Arts Centre, Burlington, ON 2001 – artist interviews & text for art show catalogue)
- Freelance Writing in the Real World (McMaster Press, Hamilton, ON 1999 – 40 page text for course)
- CreativeRadioCentral.com (monthly op/ed piece, July-December 2005)
- CBC Radio One (99.1FM) (15 min. piece for Outfront, aired December 11, 2000)
Freelance Publishing Credits – Fiction
- Fourth Floor Walk-Up (Her African Lovers) – (Diabolic Muse Press, Toronto, ON/February 2013)
Anthologies – as contributor
- xoxo: Sweet and Sexy Romance (Cleis Press/Berkeley, CA – December 2013)
- Desperate Measures (Xcitebooks/Accent Press, Bedlinog, Wales – March 2012 as an e-book or audio book)
- Bad Romance (Freaky Fountains Press, Toronto, ON/March 2011 – e-book)
- Window Dressing (Xciteooks/Accent Press, Bedlinog, Wales, UK/ September 2010 – an an e-book or audio book – mine is the title story)
- Five Minute Fantasies 3 (Xcitebooks/Accent Press/Bedlinog, Wales, UK/May 2007)
- Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica III (Constable & Robinson/London, UK/Jan 2004)
- Grunt and Groan (Boheme Press/Toronto/2002)
- Burning Ambitions (Rush Hour Revisions/Toronto/1998)
- Between a Dock and a High Place (Jasper Press/Hamilton/1997)
- Coming Clean – co-writer/producer & principal role in a 4 minute short (shot in Hamilton, ON 2007)
- Futurism Media (New Jersey – sci-fi short fiction Story #1; Story #2; Story #3, from 2017)
- Origami Journal (Toronto, ON – Spring 2015)
- Oysters & Chocolate (Denver/Boulder, CO 2008)
- The Big Stupid Review (Austin, TX 2007)
- Front & Center #10 (Ottawa, ON 2004)
- Tupperware Sandpiper (Toronto, ON 2000)
- Feminist Studies (Baltimore, MD 2000)
- the Diviners (Hamilton, ON 1999)
- Incite Magazine (Hamilton, ON 1999)
- Lit Magazine (Hamilton, ON 1997)
- Heavy Girl Press (Toronto, ON 1997)
- Black Cat 115 (Windsor, ON 1997)
- the Sitter’s Companion (Hamilton, ON 1996, 1997)
- green’s magazine (Regina, SK 1996)
- the New Quarterly (Waterloo, ON 1995)
- the Hamilton Spectator (1995)
- the Toronto Star (1989)
- Starsong (North Carolina, 1988)
- edges literary magazine (Edmonton, AB 1988)