I’m a long time freelance writer, writing instructor and more recently, a singer and songwriter. I also have a degree in French that I like to use now and then.
My writing, both fiction and non-fiction, has been largely fueled by curiosity – curiosity about the world, the people in it and how things work. I’ve written short stories and novellas, articles, books, webpages, blog posts, marketing materials – in short, everything that a freelancer can get their hands on.
I currently write on an irregularly regular basis for Ludwig Van (Toronto), and TheTalko, a Valnet property. From 2017 to 2018, I wrote for – and got over 20 million views at – TheRichest, another Valnet online publication. I write on an occasional basis for a number of publications, including Okayafrica, Myentertainmentworld.ca, the Huffington Post as a blogger, and as a contributor to AllAboutJazz. I teach five writing courses at the college level through OntarioLearn.com — along with a regular stream of freelance assignments. I have my own blog at ArtandCultureMaven.com, and you can read short fiction, sci-fi, and hard science pieces via Futurism Media. You’ll find feeds of recent work on the sidebar.
My work is sometimes cited in other publications, including academic work along with books; among them:
- One of my pieces is cited in “All There Is”: The Reconciliatory Poetics of a Singing Voice by Robyn Taylor‐Neu, an article published in AnthroSource, Published by the American Anthropological Association (February 2018). https://doi.org/10.1111/aman.13003 Wassenberg, Anya. 2013. “The Renaissance of Aboriginal Culture.” The Huffington Post, February 2. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/anya-wassenberg/aboriginal-art-_b_2587257.html. Google Scholar https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aman.13003
Global Africa: Into the Twenty-First Century – Dorothy Hodgson, Judith Byfield – Univ of California Press, Aug 1, 2017 – Page 169 – Wassenberg, Anya. “New York African Restaurant Week 2015: Akin Akinsanya on Building NYC’S African Culinary Empire,” OkayAfrica, May 28, 2015. http://www.okayafrica.com/news/new-york-african-restaurant-week-june-2015-akin-akinsanya/.
Science Fiction and the Mass Cultural Genre System – John Rieder – Wesleyan University Press, Mar 7, 2017 – Page 194 – Wassenberg, Anya. “Film News—ImagineNATIVE Embargo Collective at the Berlin Film Fest.” Art & Culture Maven, February 9, 2010. http://www.artandculturemaven.com/2010/02/film-news-imaginenative-embargo.html.
- Quoted in the blog “Mutable Matter” on world music https://mutablematter.wordpress.com/2017/07/07/imagining-world-music/
- I’m Quoted in the blog for classical radio station WQXR in New York City – http://www.wqxr.org/story/tone-deafness-pretty-rare-which-means-you-can-probably-sing/
- I’m quoted as Creative collaborator Anya Wassenberg, talking about my installation in tent 113 of this site specific collaborative art project. Collaborative Performances of Resistance in Twenty-First Century Toronto: Occupy Toronto and The Encampment by Andrea Terry, published in the Journal of Canadian Studies/Revue d’études canadiennes, University of Toronto Press, Volume 49, Number/numéro 2, Spring/printemps 2015
- My interview with Paul Laverty is referenced in a New York Times film review (link on “Paul Laverty”) – http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/movies/18even.html
- A post from my blog is cited in What Did You Say about My Mama? On Being Productively Uppity by Donna-Michelle St. Bernard
From: Canadian Theatre Review
Volume 146, Spring 2011
pp. 95-99 | 10.1353/ctr.2011.0027
- Selected three times to serve as a judge for the East Coast Music Awards in the Indigenous Artist Of The Year category (last time 2017).
- Quoted by many artists in their PR material, including dancers, musicians, and visual artists.
- My photographs are also occasionally used for editorial purposes, including a still from one of my YouTube videos featuring Thomas Mapfumo that is used on all international Wikipedia entries on the subject of the Zimbabwean musician and activist.
As a singer, I’m active locally here in Southern Ontario with ensembles from duos and trios to larger groups.
You can check on the links above to see work in my various specialties or view/download a full C.V. and you may have noticed that the widgets along the right of this page also lead you to my work in various forms, including a blog on this website that lists my most recent work and new posts from my art blog, with links to my social media feeds. You can get in touch with the contact form below.
Thanks for looking!
Use this Contact Form to get in touch.