I’m a long time freelance writer, writing instructor and more recently, a singer and songwriter. I also have a degree in French that I like to use now and then.
My writing, both fiction and non-fiction, has been largely fuelled by curiosity — curiosity about the world, the people in it and how things work. I’ve written short stories and novellas, articles, books, web pages, blog posts, marketing materials – in short, everything that a freelancer can get their hands on.
I currently write on an irregularly regular basis for Ludwig Van (Toronto), where I also serve as the Digital Content Editor.
Along with a stream of freelance assignments and small business clients, I teach five writing courses at the college level through OntarioLearn.com.
I’m a contributor to the anthology The Best New True Crime Stories: Unsolved Crimes & Mysteries (Editor: Mitzi Szereto – Mango Press/September 2022) – set for release September 13, 2022.
On an occasional basis, I write for a number of publications, including factual geography, science and travel pieces at World Atlas, and as a contributor of music reviews to AllAboutJazz. I publish essays on culture and (my) artist’s life on Medium. I have my own blog at ArtandCultureMaven.com and there are feeds of recent work on the sidebar.
As an indie singer-songwriter, you can check out my latest single on Bandcamp. (Go on, click on it).
Citations of My Work
My writing on culture, arts, and entertainment – including posts from my personal blog, contributions to Huffington Post blog, and others – is sometimes cited in other publications, including Masters and Doctoral theses and other academic publications, books, and articles, including:
- My blog is referenced (as a link) in an Arts & Culture piece for WLRN in Miami on a film about voting rights.
- MSN Entertainment quotes me in a piece on “The most overrated movies ever“.
- A piece of mine is quoted extensively in Maury: The Story of an American Pop Culture Institution By Denise Noe, BearManor Media (November 26, 2020) ASIN : B08P6HS81F
- Cited & appear in the bibliography of a Polish academic book: Potencjał zmiany. Rezultaty działania ruchu społecznego na przykładzie aktywizmu LGBT* w Polsce?/ Potential for Change. Social Movement Outcomes by Example of LGBT* Movement in Poland by: BEATA BIELSKA – November 2018 – Nicolaus Copernicus UniversityPublisher: 978-83-231-4092-4Publisher: Wydawnictwo Mikołaja Kopernika w ToruniuWassenberg Anya (2016), Orlando, the Stonewall Riots and the History of Attacks on Gay Nightclubs Illustrate the Intersectionality of Homophobia in America, https://www.inquisitr.com/3197176/orlando-stonewall-riots-attacks-gay-nightclubs-intersectionality-homophobia-america/
- One of my pieces is cited in “All There Is”: The Reconciliatory Poetics of a Singing Voice by Robyn Taylor‐Neu, an article published in AnthroSource, Published by the American Anthropological Association (February 2018). https://doi.org/10.1111/aman.13003 Wassenberg, Anya. 2013. “The Renaissance of Aboriginal Culture.” The Huffington Post, February 2. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/anya-wassenberg/aboriginal-art-_b_2587257.html. Google Scholar https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aman.13003
- Global Africa: Into the Twenty-First Century – Dorothy Hodgson, Judith Byfield – Univ of California Press, Aug 1, 2017 – Page 169 – Wassenberg, Anya. “New York African Restaurant Week 2015: Akin Akinsanya on Building NYC’S African Culinary Empire,” OkayAfrica, May 28, 2015. http://www.okayafrica.com/news/new-york-african-restaurant-week-june-2015-akin-akinsanya/.
- Science Fiction and the Mass Cultural Genre System – John Rieder – Wesleyan University Press, Mar 7, 2017 – Page 194 – Wassenberg, Anya. “Film News—ImagineNATIVE Embargo Collective at the Berlin Film Fest.” Art & Culture Maven, February 9, 2010. http://www.artandculturemaven.com/2010/02/film-news-imaginenative-embargo.html.
- Quoted in the blog “Mutable Matter” on world music https://mutablematter.wordpress.com/2017/07/07/imagining-world-music/
- I’m Quoted in the blog for classical radio station WQXR in New York City – http://www.wqxr.org/story/tone-deafness-pretty-rare-which-means-you-can-probably-sing/
- I’m quoted as Creative collaborator Anya Wassenberg, talking about my installation in tent 113 of this site specific collaborative art project. Collaborative Performances of Resistance in Twenty-First Century Toronto: Occupy Toronto and The Encampment by Andrea Terry, published in the Journal of Canadian Studies/Revue d’études canadiennes, University of Toronto Press, Volume 49, Number/numéro 2, Spring/printemps 2015
- My interview with Paul Laverty is referenced in a New York Times film review (link on “Paul Laverty”) – http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/movies/18even.html
- A post from my blog is cited in What Did You Say about My Mama? On Being Productively Uppity by Donna-Michelle St. BernardFrom: Canadian Theatre ReviewVolume 146, Spring 2011pp. 95-99 | 10.1353/ctr.2011.0027 https://muse.jhu.edu/article/430922/pdf
- I was commissioned to write the liner notes for Cameron Carpenter: Bach & Hanson (Universal/Decca Gold 2021)
- Selected three times to serve as a judge for the East Coast Music Awards (last time 2017).
- Quoted by many artists in their PR material, including dancers, musicians, and visual artists.
- My photographs are also occasionally used for editorial purposes, including a still from one of my YouTube videos featuring Thomas Mapfumo that is used on all international Wikipedia entries on the subject of the Zimbabwean musician and activist.
As a singer, I’ve been active locally part-time in Southern Ontario with ensembles from duos and trios to larger groups, including a foray into musical theatre. You can find out more on my Anya Mia music page & Lingua Franca Collective.
You can check on the links above to see work in my various specialties or view/download a full C.V. and you may have noticed that the widgets along the left of this page also lead you to my work in various forms, including a blog on this website that lists my most recent work and new posts from my art blog, with links to my social media feeds. You can get in touch with the contact form below.
Thanks for looking!
Use this Contact Form to get in touch.